Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Don't make eye contact

If this has never happened to you, you’re lying.

We’ve all had those groan assignments. Here are some of mine: Dog shows; first day of school; petty complaints; damaged election signs (you know it’s coming); and fundraisers — I’m going to hell for that last one.

I’m guilty of averting my editor’s gaze when these come along. If going online has taught me anything, it’s just how important some of these “hyperlocal” stories are to our readers. Others, I argue, don’t deserve to see the light of day.

There’s pressure to post information faster than ever, yet I try to balance that by meeting people I’m interviewing. If they’re passionate about their issue or event, it helps me become interested to write about it.

Mobile media is key to post on the go. I might sulk heading to an assignment, but the right mindset gets me through it to produce something with value.

I still don’t make eye contact when these stories come along, but web hits trump ego every time.

The Hyper Journalist

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment