Thursday, October 22, 2009

Let's do the time warp again


Evolving from a print to multimedia reporter isn’t a beautiful thing. Hardly a caterpillar blossoming into a beautiful butterfly that takes flight in the summer breeze. It’s more like a doo doo covered in flies that’s swallowed by earth before anything good can come of it.

In other words, it’s a slow process. For a while, I’m gonna stink. If I keep working at it, I might mature and maybe get to the point where I create something awesome.

Everything about the industry tells me multimedia is what I need to be doing. After all, North American newspapers are abandoning their print product and concentrating on their online editions.

A group of laid off reporters in Brockville went against the grain when they started an independent broadsheet weekly at the end of August. The Brockville Voice piggy backs on a modest website by BrockNews.ca touting TV and video news online and the occasional print piece to the new paper. It's a decent aggregator made up mostly of announcements and upcoming events, blogs, lowest gas prices, what’s playing at the movies and, gulp, “community journalism.”

A popular gaming website did the same when it started putting out a print magazine to complement its website. While there are countless gaming websites, I read there’s a demand for gaming magazines, and going to print filled that demand. Weird.

It will be interesting to see if these new publications survive. I'll keep my layout skills fresh just in case, but I’m not unplugging any time soon.

The Hyper Journalist

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment