Monday, August 31, 2009

Yelling in a soundproof box

Clifton Hill in Niagara Falls brings back childhood memories of gazing at movie-themed wax figures and garish two-headed monstrosities at the Ripley’s Believe it or Not Museum. As much as I loved my time there, it would feel tedious to walk through those doors day after day.

Today, I’m working as a journalist. I’m grateful to have avoided the executioner’s swing during recession-addled layoffs throughout our industry. Still, I’m annoyed. I’m wearing out a path in the floor as I pass through the same doors, relive the same experiences, talk to the same people . . .

In my own newsroom, there’s some apprehension at the thought of digital journalism — going online instead of killing trees to deliver the printed word, and using social media networks to engage the public instead of ignoring readers and praying for news releases to drop on our laps. I have to say most of us are excited about the industry’s rebirth. Too bad we seem to work in museums under curators who think what worked 40 years ago in print can still work online.

Wrong.

I’m starting this blog as a way to vent my frustrations, celebrate successes, see which journalists are leading the way, and find which newsrooms have a clue and which ones are in the dark. My own newsroom feels hopelessly lost and not even looking for a flashlight.

I won’t use my own name. Cowardice? Probably. Smart business move? Definitely.

The Hyper Journalist

-30-

No comments:

Post a Comment